Check it, Peons: Your CNN Humiliation Compartmentalized

Thursday, May 26, 2011

TO MY FRIENDS WITH NO DISCERNIBLE BENEFITS: THANK YOU!


Last Saturday I had one of those sappy, emotional moments that make me cringe when they're depicted in films. (They're often accompanied by some over-played Peter Gabriel song.) I went to a "Meet the New Baby" gathering. Some friends were in town from DC, and they held it at a relative's beautiful Upper West Side apartment.

So, a bunch of us pals were gathered together, goofing off. I looked around the room at everyone laughing, telling stories, dancing, mocking The End of The World, eating salami and cheese, passing the baby around, Googling The Mandrell Sisters and playing with the dog. I suddenly realized that I'd known most of these kick ass mischief makers for 10 years or more.

And I felt overwhelmed by gratitude. Not just for the people at that party, but for all of my long-time friends.

Because here's the thing: I'm not a diligent friend. I'm not the glue that keeps us together. I never pick up the phone (mostly because I hate the damn thing.) I have forgotten birthdays. I have put off visits for longer than I should...and yet you fine people still keep me in the mix. Because of your generosity and willingness to look past my shortcomings, I have so many unbelievably wonderful, smart, cool and kind friends. You've invited me to your weddings, your son's Brit milah, your birthday parties and you've sent me artwork from your kids. You've supported Mama D's Arts Bordello and all sorts of wacky bullshit I've thrown in your direction.

I honestly don't know how I got so lucky and I sure as hell don't deserve all of you. So thanks for sticking with me. I love you more than I let on...even if you know damn well this post is about the only proof you'll get.

3 comments:

Barbara Mandrell said...

Nobody offered me any salami! ;) We love you Mama D!

LAZ said...

STFU!
You're like the 2nd coolest person we know!
Now, come'ere and give us a hug!

Our Gang said...

Face it Dutton. You're stuck with us.