Check it, Peons: Your CNN Humiliation Compartmentalized

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

FINE DINING


A LIST OF THINGS I ATE FOR DINNER WHILE ON A CNN VJ SALARY, AFTER HAVING BLOWN MY PEON BUDGET ON SHOES:

1.) One Dunkin' Donut cut into four parts to make it last longer
2.) White rice and corn ($2.00) with hot sauce on it from the Hard News Cafe
3.) One bag of BUGLES from the vending machine, divided in half to make it last longer
4.) Left-over saltines in the Feeds area
5.) An apple someone left behind in the breakroom, festively decorated with a magic marker-drawn face.
Yes, I wiped the face off first.

However, no matter how desperate I got, I never once ate one of those foul sandwiches or the cans of Vienna Sausages roating around in the machine pictured above.

I had my standards.

1 comment:

J said...

AH the beloved corn and rice lunch. I used soy sauce on mine.

Other things I ate while at CNN:

- A bowl of green beans from the Hard News. This was poverty at it's peak. I couldn't even afford a side of rice.

- A bi-monthly trip to the sweaty Blimpie Nazi for a veggie sub (ordering a sub sans meat was cheaper.)The sad thing was that I actually looked forward to this lunch..it was exciting to spend $5.00 ALL AT ONCE (chips and drink included.) I figured, what's a little perspiration in my sandwich from an angry, fat man? I am sure I have eaten worse!

- About 1000 Lean Cuisines over the course of 4 1/2 years (the cheapest variety, of course.) I never made enough money to elevate my dining experience to Salisbury Steak with Whipped Potatoes.

- The good ol' pretzel & diet coke lunch. Those usually took place on the days right before pay day. I scoured my car, apartment, purse and workspace for loose change. Sometimes, I'd even have to borrow a dime or two.

- Free ANYTHING in the newsroom. This included begging Mat Tainow to go grab a bagel for me from the National Desk. He was friends with them..I wasn't.

-vjHoolia