Check it, Peons: Your CNN Humiliation Compartmentalized

Thursday, May 22, 2008

SEXUAL OFFERS NEVER SEIZED


Today I'd like to celebrate an Israeli spitfire who did what I wish I had the courage to do:

WELLINGTON (Reuters)

Road workers in a small New Zealand town got their wish granted when a woman stripped saying she was fed up with their wolf-whistles.
The Israeli tourist was about to use an ATM in the main street of Kerikeri, in the far north of the country, when the men whistled, the New Zealand Press Association reported.
She calmly stripped off, used the cash machine, before getting dressed and walking away.
The woman told police she didn't take too kindly to the whistling from the men repairing the road.
"She said she had thought 'bugger them, I'll show them what I've got'," Police Sergeant Peter Masters told NZPA.
"She gave the explanation that she had been ... pestered by New Zealand men. She's not an unattractive looking lady," Masters said.
"She was taken back to the police station and spoken to and told that was inappropriate in New Zealand."


This woman is a goddess. I only wish I knew her name.

I'm pretty sure all you female Peons have endured a charming stroll past a construction site as a chorus of male voices shouts out enticing sexual offers/requests, detailed assessments of your physique and even comments on your clothes. Before moving to New York, I had no idea so many construction men were secret fashion mavens.

I have often wondered what would happen if I actually acknowledged these guys for once. If instead of crossing my arms over my chest or walking to the other side of the street, I turned around, threw down my purse and said,

"Yeah. Oh yeah baby. That's the best offer I've had all day. Gimme some of that. Right now! Pull out that great big cock you keep talking about and let's put it to use! C'mon big boy. Right here. I just want to get all up in those hairy armpits of yours. I just want to drink the sweat leaking into your butt crack. Take it all off baby. But you can leave your construction helmet on."

But no--I'd never do that. Which is the very reason these men will continue to catcall.
They know they can shout out whatever the hell they want because we women won't engage them in conversation. It's an unspoken pact. They can holler things you'd never say in a bar or a football game or any other environment where men and women interact.
In fact, much like women usually dress up for other women, men catcall in front of other men to impress their buddies. It's a way to show how virile and heterosexual you are, without having to prove it. They know damn well we'll never challenge them.

And at least in New Zealand, even if we try to take a stand, we get hauled down to the police station for it.

No comments: